The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (often shortened to the United Kingdom, UK, Great Britain, or incorrectly England) is a country on the continent of Europe.
- Capital city: London
- Largest city by population: London
- Population: 63,705,000 (2012 estimate)
- Size: 243,610 sq km (ranked 80th)
- Currency: United Kingdom pound sterling
- Independence: May 1, 1707
- Current head of state: Queen Elizabeth II
- Official languages: English, other regionally recognized languages
The United Kingdom is located in the Northern Hemisphere. It is mostly located in the Western Hemisphere, but some of its territory is located in the Eastern Hemisphere. The prime meridian (0 degrees longitude) runs through the Royal Observatory at Greenwich, east of London.
The United Kingdom controls many territories around the world.